More People Are Sharing Homes
About one in every six Americans lives in a multi-generational household, up 30 percent since 2000, according to U.S. Census figures and a study released Thursday by the Pew Research Center.
The study found that the economy is a primary driver of the trend, but there are other factors as well. Aging Americans are opting for home health care over nursing homes, and Hispanic and Asian immigrants come from cultures where multi-generational living is the norm.
The Pew study and an examination of census data by AARP concluded:
• The most likely multi-generational scenario is a parent who owns a home and shares it with an adult child and a grandchild.
• Older women are more likely than older men to live in a multi-generational household.
• The number of adults older than 65 who live alone is decreasing from 28.8 percent in 1990 to 27.4 percent in 2008.
Source: Associated Press, Hope Yen (03/18/2010)
New York Real Estate Access | Your Access To Every Home On The MLS!
* Instant access to all MLS listings
* Receive future email updates of new listings they day they hit the market!
* Save listings, searches, email friends, and more...
Start Searching For Homes Today!
Tayeb Realty Group | Real Estate Professionals
Search for Homes!
- March 2012 (24)
- February 2012 (12)
- January 2012 (2)
- October 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (12)
- June 2011 (8)
- April 2011 (9)
- March 2011 (6)
- February 2011 (15)
- January 2011 (28)
- December 2010 (18)
- November 2010 (18)
- October 2010 (21)
- September 2010 (21)
- August 2010 (20)
- June 2010 (32)
- May 2010 (27)
- April 2010 (50)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (41)
- January 2010 (33)
- December 2009 (39)
- November 2009 (15)
- October 2009 (4)
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- $8000 credit (TARP) 30-year mortgage rates 2009 NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) American housing market an energy-improvement mortgage (EIM) Appraisal Atlanta average interest rate Bank-owned properties Bank of America Corp. bank or lender Bank repossessions Basement Remodel Beacon Economics Bedroom Remodel Ben Bernanke better house better resale value beyond. Some believe VOWs could also pave the way for a comprehensive Multiple Listing Service Bloomberg News borrower borrowers borrow more Broker brokerage listings Build-to-suit commercial real estate credit credit report credit score economic recovery existing-home sales Federal Housing Administration FHA FHA loans First-time home buyers First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit fixed-rate mortgage foreclosure Foreclosures home buyer tax credit home owners Homeownership home prices home sales Home Values housing market interest rates IRS loan mortgage mortgage applications Mortgage Bankers Association mortgage payment Mortgage Rates mortgages NAR National Association of Realtors new york real estate office space properties property values real estate real estate market real estate news real estate trends REALTORS refinancing Remodeling Short Sale tax credit Tax Incentives value of home